top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What kind of license do I need to compete?

A NASA racing license is required to compete in USTCC. If you hold an SCCA or FIA license, you should also be eligible to get a NASA license. NASA License fee is around $100 per year. If you don't have any of those, then we can help you obtain your racing license.

2. What are the basic modifications allowed to the cars?

Safety equipment as listed in NASA's Club Codes and Regulations is required. These include things like a full roll cage, racing harness, master kill switch, etc.  These are standard stuff wherever you go racing. The cars can be modified in many ways. The USTCC rulebook lists exactly what is allowed but the basic rules are as follows:

  • Bigger brakes are allowed.

  • Suspension dampers, anti-roll bars, springs are open.

  • Suspension mounting points must remain stock.

  • Engine ECU is open.

  • Engines are usually stock with bolt on parts allowed/

  • Engine swaps are allowed.

  • Transmission must be stock for the engine.

  • 17 or 18 inch tires/wheels are required.

  • Limited slip differentials that fit the factory housing are allowed.

  • Exhaust headers, mufflers are open. Note that sound limits exist.

  • Suspension bushings are open.

  • Aerodynamic devices are open.

3. What are the different classes?

There are four classes in USTCC. GT is the fastest with cars in the 400-500 hp range. The next class is Super Touring with the typical car in the 325-350 hp range. Touring Car class cars have about 250-300 hp. And Sportsman cars have about 200-250 hp. But it all comes down to power to weight because your minimum weight is determined by your horsepower. Here are some examples:


GT Class

RWD Independent rear suspension. 6.3 lbs./HP

RWD Solid rear suspension. 6.0 lbs./HP

Super Touring Class

FWD 9.0 lbs. /HP

RWD 9.50 lbs./HP

AWD 975 lbs./HP

Touring Car Class

FWD 10.50 lbs./HP

RWD 11.25 lbs./HP

AWD 11.50 lbs./HP

Sportsman Class

FWD 11.75 lbs./HP

RWD 12.25 lbs./HP

AWD 12.75 lbs./HP


In the Touring Car and Sportsman classes engines 1.9 liters and smaller must subtract 0.2 lbs./HP from the above numbers. Engines 2.5 liters and larger must add 0.2 lbs./HP to above numbers.

4. What kind of tires do I need?

USTCC uses Hankook F200 slicks.


5. How much does it cost?

Race entry fees range from $500-$1300 depending on class and event.


6. Is my car eligible?


Most late model production cars are eligible and can fit well in one of the four classes. If your car is not listed in the VSS, ask us. 


7. I have a car that I use in other series. Can I bring it?


If your car runs in NASA or SCCA classes, there is a good chance that it can be eligible in USTCC as long as it is not too old. Common cars in USTCC are BMWs (E36 and newer), Hondas, Porsches, Mazdas (NC MX5 and newer, RX8), and many others.


8. I have a GT3/GT4/TCR car. Can I bring it?


Absolutely. There is a class for them.

9. Are all the races televised?

At the moment all of the races on the West Coast are televised on NBC Sports.


10. How can I get sponsors?


The fantastic TV coverage plus everything else that USTCC focuses on allows teams to have the tools to get sponsored. Of course, it is up to each team/driver to look for a sponsor but the series tries to make it as easy as possible for you to bring value to your sponsors.

11. I don't have a race car. Can I rent one?

Yes. Many teams have cars available for rent either by the season or by the race. Price varies depending on what you are looking for. A fast car with a front running team will be more expensive than a slow car with a less experienced team.

12. I have my own car but I need help. Can I join an existing team?

Joining an existing team can be very beneficial. They are familiar with the rules and the system. They also usually have the equipment and the crew to support the drivers. Being on a multi-car team can be a big advantage because of the knowledge and support that is available between all of the team drivers.



bottom of page